We’ve all read those fad diet cookbooks. I even still have a couple of them. I may have read them once but never picked them up again. And then I discovered Food Cop by Yolanda Bergman published in 1991. Yolanda has coached many celebrities like Ozzy Osborne, Paul Stanley, Emilio Estevez, and Madeleine Stowe on how to change the way they eat. She also had a food delivery service where she would cook the food and deliver it to them. This book is packed full of her recipes for that. Food Cop is not a huge book but it is small enough to read and take with you to the store if you need ideas for shopping for meals. She even has a shopping list and meal plan for a week of healthy meals. Her Stuffed Red Bell Peppers with ground turkey, brown rice, Roma tomatoes and great seasonings is an amazing dish that apparently Cher used to order frequently. With her great ideas, it becomes easy to figure out how to cook anything healthier and what to avoid in the store. She is an advocate for healthier brands and reading labels. Most of my food philosophies came from this wonderful book. My favorite recipe in it is probably the simplest one you will find. Her Turkey Burgers can be served on whole wheat buns with any combination of vegetables or they are perfect for what she calls “diet pills”. You can make small patties and keep them in the refrigerator and eat one before you go to a party or out to eat or even as a snack when you are starving. They keep you from being hungry for quite a while. They are even perfect as a small lunch with vegetables on the side. Here is the recipe:
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 diced medium yellow onion
3/4 cup Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
Non stick cooking spray
Shape the turkey mixture into patties of your desired size, spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray and pre-bake them at 400 for about 10 minutes. Then grill them. Or what I do is just fry them in a skillet with non stick spray. The mustard and onion makes these taste amazing!
She even includes recipes and ideas for how to feed kids and what her daughter eats.
It is one of my favorite books!
- I have changed Twitter accounts. I am moving from @sensiblemama to @nwesthomemaker Thanks for following! :) 5 years ago
- @EverettHerald Enough for a small snowman in Lake Stevens. #wasnow http://t.co/cNWowV65 5 years ago
- RT @MosheTheGreat: THAT'S AMAZING . . . http://t.co/2iOcvHb1 5 years ago
- RT @brianhund: There's a little less shine on the Golden State. RIP Huell Howser @ConwayShow @AronBender twitter.com/brianhund/stat… @Mystie ... 5 years ago
- RT @ConwayShow: The Huell Dog at Pink's? 2 hot dogs in one bun. pinkshollywood.com/pgz/menu.html 5 years ago