A Healthy, New Recipe
Once in a while, I get a craving for Ceviche, a type of fish salad that is eaten on tostadas. This all began for me years ago at my first job for a large company. When you work in cubicles, there are frequent potlucks and other food-sharing events. The Latina girls I worked with had an idea to start a tradition that lasted for a while. Each of us would bring ingredients for Ceviche and they would put it together in a huge bowl and we ate from it all day, starting with breakfast time. What a great idea because it is so healthy and energizing that there was not the typical potluck drowsiness. Long after I changed jobs, I tried making it at home one time and it did not taste the right way. Yesterday I decided to try again and it turned out great!
1 pound real or imitation crab or shrimp
6 small lemons
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 medium onion, diced
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
Flake apart the crab with your hands into a glass or porcelain bowl (because of all the lemon juice, metal or plastic are not a good idea). Juice all the lemons and pour on top of the crab and add all other ingredients. (Some people use V8 or Clamato instead of tomato juice and water. I simply did not have anything but tomato sauce and it came out great.) Cover and refrigerate at least an hour. Serve on tostada shells with ketchup if desired. I know it sounds weird but my coworkers always ate it with ketchup and I thought that was weird until I tried it. It mixes with the flavors so well.
- I have changed Twitter accounts. I am moving from @sensiblemama to @nwesthomemaker Thanks for following! :) 4 years ago
- @EverettHerald Enough for a small snowman in Lake Stevens. #wasnow http://t.co/cNWowV65 4 years ago
- RT @MosheTheGreat: THAT'S AMAZING . . . http://t.co/2iOcvHb1 4 years ago
- RT @brianhund: There's a little less shine on the Golden State. RIP Huell Howser @ConwayShow @AronBender twitter.com/brianhund/stat… @Mystie ... 4 years ago
- RT @ConwayShow: The Huell Dog at Pink's? 2 hot dogs in one bun. pinkshollywood.com/pgz/menu.html 4 years ago