For the almost 20 years my husband and I have been together, there is one dinner that we love more than any other meal. It’s not all that healthy and partly because we don’t bother to add a vegetable. The meat and potatoes is all we care about for this meal. But don’t forget the garlic bread!
We start with getting a good trip tip steak that is about 3 pounds and usually already trimmed. Soak it in beer for a while. Living in So Cal it was easier to find tri tip than it is here in the NW. We still find it about every few weeks and usually at Albertson’s.
The tri tip gets barbecued and dipped in Kikkoman Teriyaki Baste and Glaze with Honey and Pineapple, until the meat is cooked.
The baked potatoes go in the oven at about the same time as the BBQ gets turned on.
Meanwhile, back in the house, I mince about 10 cloves of fresh garlic. I stir it into an entire stick of softened butter, slice open a fresh loaf of French bread, and spread the garlic butter on the bread. The trick is to watch it constantly while under the broiler to perfectly toast the bread.
The other day we got home from the store and I realized I had forgotten the French bread! Not about to go back to the store, I decided to improvise and even temporarily change my garlic bread recipe for the night. I opened the loaf of white bread I had bought for sandwiches during the week and mixed a stick of softened butter with about 1/4 cup mayo and the 10 cloves of minced garlic. I then broiled the bread and it was really good. I will stick with no mayo though when I make it on French bread.
We always serve this dinner with A1 and sour cream. The best sour cream ever is Knudsen, but it is not sold in the NW. The next best I have found here is Tillamook.
So, not the healthiest dinner but it is probably one of the most comforting, happy dinners we ever make!
- I have changed Twitter accounts. I am moving from @sensiblemama to @nwesthomemaker Thanks for following! :) 6 years ago
- @EverettHerald Enough for a small snowman in Lake Stevens. #wasnow http://t.co/cNWowV65 6 years ago
- RT @MosheTheGreat: THAT'S AMAZING . . . http://t.co/2iOcvHb1 6 years ago
- RT @brianhund: There's a little less shine on the Golden State. RIP Huell Howser @ConwayShow @AronBender twitter.com/brianhund/stat… @Mystie ... 6 years ago
- RT @ConwayShow: The Huell Dog at Pink's? 2 hot dogs in one bun. pinkshollywood.com/pgz/menu.html 6 years ago